Worst screenname ever

June 16th, 2009

othello2

I’m going to hope this (rather attractive) gentleman has simply not read “Othello.” What’s particularly bothersome is that his handle suggests that at least one other person thinks “Othello” is a good name to signal “romance.”

6 Responses to “Worst screenname ever”

1. KayBee on June 16, 2009 1:44 pm

When I recently looked at wedding reception halls– one was set up for a wedding.

The name the couple assigned to the head table: Romeo & Juliet.

2. Ariel on June 16, 2009 4:20 pm

Why Othello? Because Romeo is sappy, Hamlet is psycho, Macbeth is a pushover, and who on earth wants to date a guy named Titus Andronicus? “Othello” the play by no means signals “romance,” but if this guy has indeed read the play, then perhaps he is trying to identify himself as an outsider, someone exotic and eloquent. Or, perhaps he’s just using the name to say, “Look at me! My screenname is from Shakespeare, which must mean I’m well-read!”

3. MelissaJane on June 16, 2009 4:22 pm

What’s even more disturbing is that maybe he wasn’t forced into including the 2…maybe he sees himself as Othello’s spiritual descendant and added it himself.

On the other hand, most potentially murderous jealous creeps don’t come with advance advertising, so maybe his screen name is really a public service.

Which leads me to invent a parlor game. If you were going to choose a Shakespearean screen name intended to signal your particular stewpot of quirks, neuroses, and personality flaws, what would it be?

I’d go with Tatiana. I’m not ethereal or fey, I’m not beloved by demigods or possessed of magical powers. But I have done more than my share of becoming “enamour’d of an ass.”

4. MelissaJane on June 16, 2009 4:56 pm

(Although, I must admit, it would be a particulary pessimistic handle for a dating site.)

5. Robin on June 17, 2009 5:49 am

Having recently seen a production of “Much Ado About Nothing,” I’d have to go with Beatrice for myself: I like to laugh and argue, and I find honor killings a real downer.

6. class factotum on June 25, 2009 12:03 pm