Other double features

I mentioned below that “Project Grizzly” and “Grizzly Man” would be an excellent double feature, especially if you were in the mood to watch movies about bears and the men who love them too much. What are some good double features you’d recommend for Netflix Night at home?

Mr. Improbable and I once watched “Galaxy Quest” and “Trekkies” back to back, which is a terrific combination: if you haven’t heard of it, “Trekkies” is a documentary about Star Trek fans. (“Galaxy Quest,” of course, is a spoof on Star Trek and Trek fandom.)

“Rushmore” and “Election” came out around the same time, and I saw those as a double feature in the theater: two quirky comedies about high school politics.

The nights are getting longer. Time to curl up on the sofa with a bowl of popcorn or a cup of hot chocolate and watch some flicks. What double features do you like?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Other double features

1. Shulamuth says:

A triple: Seven Samurai, Magnificent Seven, Battle Beyond the Stars.

Also High Noon and Outlands.

Emma and Clueless

All of these are different tellings of the same tale, and I find it really interesting to see what changes and doesn’t change when you move a story through space and time.

A similar sort of take on this question can be found in Pride and Prejudice seen with Lost in Austin, which sort of does the Roshiman thing on Jane Austin’s classic.

2. Carolyn says:

Deeply funny kids’-eye views of ghastly times:

My Life as a Dog + Hope and Glory

3. Elizabeth says:

We had a fun movie night watching “The Great Escape” and “Chicken Run” back to back a few years ago.

4. bluemoose says:

My all-time favorite double-feature experience, which will forever date me and cast aspersions on my taste, was The Skulls and Gossip, both starring Joshua Jackson at the height of his Dawson’s Creek fame. My roommate and I saw both at the cheap seats theatre on a rainy winter Saturday, broken by lunch at the mall food court because we couldn’t bring ourselves to buy both sets of tickets at the same time (we were not in high school, so…). Gossip was bad. The Skulls was bad enough to be hilarious.

The same roommate and I also used to do a yearly double feature of Dead Poet’s Society and Swing Kids.

5. Dmajor says:

For a night of politically-relevant fun, I recommend the prophetic duo of They Live and Blazing Saddles.

“I’m here to kick ass and chew bubble-gum, and I’m all out of bubble-gum.”

“Oh, it’s twue! It’s twue!”

6. Melissa says:

Election is one of my All Time Favorite Movies. Oh, how I can relate to Reese in that one.

I would go for some kind of ’80s theme – Sixteen Candles and Pretty in Pink.

Or Patrick Swayze night. Dirty Dancing and Ghost.

7. Melissa says:

For Thanksgiving, you should watch Home For the Holidays (with Holly Hunter) and Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

One of my new goals (I’m such an overachiever!) is to watch one good chick flick with each holiday. On Halloween night, I enjoyed a big glass of cabernet while watching Practical Magic. It was heaven.

8. bluemoose says:

Unintentionally great double feature, courtesy of my mixed up Netflix queue: Shakespeare Behind Bars + Every Little Step.