Ugly wintry mix

December 10th, 2009

… is pretty much what the weather was in the Boston/Cambridge metro area yesterday. Thoroughly disgusting mishmosh of snow, rain, sleet, and mud. But the phrase stuck in my head, and made me think: hey, that’s a pretty good name for a drink. “I’ll have an Ugly Wintry Mix, please.”

So that’s your challenge! Come up with the Ugly Wintry Mix cocktail! It should

1) Resemble an ugly wintry mix, and
2) Be suitable for drinking on a day when the weather is an ugly wintry mix.

This is just for fun, not necessarily a contest … but if anyone comes up with something I really like, I’ll send you one of the last remaining author copies of Mind Over Manners that I’ve got lying around here!

Get mixin’!

12 Responses to “Ugly wintry mix”

1. dustyrose on December 10, 2009 10:52 pm

I imagine it as something similar to a White Russian, maybe with something peppermint-flavored instead of Kahlua.

2. Carolyn on December 10, 2009 11:10 pm

I’d go for a couple of ounces of bourbon, four-six ounces of cider, over crushed ice; top with cinnamon and nutmeg. Better go pour myself one, and see if it makes sense.

3. Erika on December 10, 2009 11:26 pm

Fill a metal cup about 1/4 full with pellet ice. Pour in Irish cream whiskey and top with a thin layer of whipped cream. Scoop with a spoon to enjoy. May be served as either a beverage or dessert.

4. Hope on December 11, 2009 12:35 am

I’m picturing the last little bits of all of your almost empty bottles mixed together in a big ol’ glass with a cinnamon stick for garnish.

If you wanted something that was actually tasty, I’m thinking creme de menthe, vodka and cream, swirled around with some crushed up oreos. I’d imagine it would be vaguely slushy looking while still a bit tasty.

5. akmom on December 11, 2009 7:49 am

I was thinking about something hot, to combat the ugly wintry mix outside…

hot cocoa with green creme de menthe (ugly color!!), small dollops of whipped cream with chocolate shavings. Serve in a clear glass mug for effect.

6. JoGeek on December 11, 2009 9:57 am

How about a hot mudslide? It’ll be grey and brown and slushy looking, but oh so creamy and comforting:

1/2 oz Bailey’s Irish Cream
    1/2 oz vanilla vodka
    1/2 oz Kahlua
    Steamed or hot milk

White chocolate shavings on the top would imitate the whole “snow on mud” look of a wintry mix day :-)

7. bluemoose on December 11, 2009 10:41 am

Mexican hot chocolate (the kind with cinnamon and cayenne) with a shot of espresso, a shot of whiskey, a tiny iceberg of whipped cream and some shaved chocolate.

OR make an ice cream sundae out of it with either cookies and cream ice cream on top of an “asphalt” brownie, a drizzle hot fudge mud, a pile of whipped cream “snow,” and some shaved chocolate “dirt”
    OR rocky road ice cream with a drizzle of white chocolate sauce.

8. SteveS on December 11, 2009 10:55 am

How about a very long cocktail recipe that includes “gourdot”. You know, because it so cleverly rhymes with “pinot” and Brigitte Bardot… :P

9. Farhibide on December 11, 2009 12:07 pm

6 oz. of warm coffee (sweeten if desired)
    1 fl. oz. hazelnut or vanilla coffee creamer
    1/2 oz. of Frangelico
    1/2 oz. of bourbon
    Raw Sugar
    Nutmeg

Coat the rim of a margarita glass with raw sugar. Combine coffee, creamer, Frangelico and bourbon in a blender with 2 cups of crushed ice and a dash of nutmeg. Blend until slushy.

10. Shulamuth on December 11, 2009 9:41 pm

What I’ve been drinking out here in California (and yes, I realize it isn’t anywhere near as awful here, but it’s wet and cold and I’m getting tired of the ritual finish to all complaints “but we need the rain” [which we certainly do] to when I come in from the ugly wintry rainy cold icky outside, is hot mulled cider with a dark rum. Since I am out of stick cinnamon, whole cloves and the rest, I’m mulling the cider with ground cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, ginger and orange peel, and it looks all scummy and ugly, but it tastes just great.

11. EA Week on December 12, 2009 9:03 pm

My favorite end-of-semester, end-of-holidays de-stressing comfort food drink:

Hot chocolate, any kind. Fill the mug about 3/4 full.

A splash of Bailey’s Irish Cream

Top with Ben & Jerry’s Dublin Mudslide ice cream.

The resulting mixture has a good visual approximation of “wet, dirty snow.” It’s also creamy, chocolaty, mellow, and warming on a freezing cold New England night.

You can serve this to the kids, too, just leave out the Bailey’s.

12. Jenny L3igh on December 14, 2009 12:13 pm

Oh, I like a lot of these suggestions! I would just add something I had recently that was very good. Eggnog and a bit of rum mixed in. Serve over ice with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, cinnamon and nutmeg on top and you have the snow left-over from the last time we had good clean snow with the ugly wintery mix on top!