Most amazing political ad ever

February 2nd, 2010

In the epic discussion of rudeness on the boston.com blog, a number of people mentioned changes in the political/media culture as responsible for a degradation of public discourse. I don’t allow partisan politics on that site, but talking about general trends is fine, and I agreed with many of the commenters.

In that spirit, may I present the most remarkable political smear ad of all time. Yes, it is real; it’s for the coroner’s seat in New Orleans:

I’ll let you pause for a moment to take that in.

I majored in theater as an undergraduate. You know the actor who played Igor probably got his theater degree at Louisiana State or some such, dreamed of playing Mister Mistoffolees on tour, maybe getting to do the one-man version of “Santaland Diaries” someday, or even Shakespeare … I hope for his sake that his hopes and dreams were already crushed before this happened. It sounds harsh of me, I know, but I am cruel only to be kind.

8 Responses to “Most amazing political ad ever”

1. Shulamuth on February 2, 2010 5:29 pm

I just Googled around on this electoral contest for a while, and all I can say is “wild”. I come from the area where Wavy Gravy once ran for city council on the slogan “let’s elect a REAL clown for a change”, and this tops it.

That being said: having been, in my time, a theatrical, I tend to believe that a paying gig is a paying gig, so I’d say don’t be too hard on the actor.

2. Robin on February 2, 2010 6:24 pm

I’m TOTALLY not bashing on the actor, Shulamuth! Hey, a paycheck is a paycheck, baby, and I hope he got some good laughs out of it. I was never an actor myself, but most of my friends back in KC were, and believe me, some of them have done worse.

3. Scammel on February 3, 2010 7:37 am

I was so shocked that I read the comments thread under the article and found that you don’t have to feel sorry for “Igor” — he isn’t an actor, but, according to commenter Ninong “the dude playing Igor is actually political consultant Bill Schultz, who is responsible for creating this monstrosity of a campaign ad.”

Whew! Makes me feel better for badly-paid regional actors everywhere.

4. Robin on February 3, 2010 10:25 am

Oh, my, Scammel, that’s even … funnier? Is that the word? I don’t think it is, but I’m not sure the word has been invented yet.

5. Dmajor on February 3, 2010 11:48 am

Question #1: Assuming the scandal referred to in the ad is real, does the amateurishness of that clumsy ad inspire any confidence that this challenger could do a better job?

Question #2: Does watching the ad make it seem like a good idea to have Parish Coroner be an elected office?

6. Lynette on February 4, 2010 4:03 pm

Robin, before you call this one the worst ever, have you seen Carly’s ad in California?

7. Robin on February 4, 2010 4:26 pm

Holy demon sheep, Batman! WOW. This must be making the rounds like whoa, Lynette–my Cousin Dan just sent me a link to it the same time you did!

8. Alyson on February 4, 2010 10:35 pm

I love and miss Orleans Parish (aka New Orleans) every day. I’m not kidding.