Today’s question

I run a reader question every Monday on my blog, and I’ve got to say I’m a little bit in love with today’s question. Go read.

The writing style of it reminds me exactly of this fantastic short story by Dorothy Parker, “From the Diary of a New York Lady During Days of Horror, Despair, and World Change.” Go read that, too. It’s quite short, and could have been written yesterday.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Today’s question

1. Alice says:

That’s always been my absolute favorite Dorothy Parker story! I first read her when I was in about 8th grade, and was blown away.

2. Robin says:

Yes, me too. Although I think I’d have to pick “Big Blonde” as my favorite.

3. Jerry says:

I feel that the LW could have ended her letter at “I always have a great time.” No advice needed!

That Parker story sounds like a literal Hell to me.
    *Damn* Miss Rose.

4. Nancy Gill says:

DON’T send somebody off to read a story when the end is not included!! Couldn’t be worse!!

Seriously, that’s a dirty trick to play on a reader.

5. Robin says:

The entire story is there, Nancy — I just checked. It’s pages 191-194. Very short.

6. Alice says:

OK, so now I have to go to the library and get that book of short stories so I can re-read “Big Blonde” in its entirety (along with everything else in it). Tough assignment, huh?

FWIW, the catalog at my library lists the subject of this book as “United States — Social life and customs — 20th century — Fiction.” Appropriate indeed for your line of work, Robin (except for the “fiction” part).

7. Eager Ears says:

I loved the Parker story, and I hadn’t seen it before, so thanks! I’ll have to check out Big Blonde — till now I’ve only read Parker’s poetry. She does so well at describing the unthinking waste of a life, and yet it’s incredibly entertaining at the same time. I especially love the title, the way it concisely points out the littleness of the character’s world.

8. Jerry says:

Page 194 was there when I was at work; now when I’m at home it’s “not available”. Maybe it’s a function of the viewer’s IP address?

Couldn’t find it printed elsewhere online, though it looks like you might be able to listen to it on

9. Nancy Gill says:

Robin – when I pull up Google Books, it tells me “Pages 194 to 195 are not shown in this preview” – hence, no end of story. I don’t know why it would be different for you than me.