PeaceBang bats it out, and a poll

September 2nd, 2010

Speaking of the powerless, the silenced, PeaceBang blew me out of the water with this insight:

“To be a religious person is to notice everyone, period.”

Read the whole post, it’s thought-provoking and also rather funny. And that line certainly smacked me out of my comfortable feeling that of course I’m a good person, and made me take a hard look at how I treat certain kinds of people.

PeaceBang’s doing some good stuff these days — I tweeted another blog post of hers a day or so ago. Which brings me to: how many of you who don’t follow me on Twitter read the tweets on the right column of this blog? Do you find them interesting, useful, value-added? I don’t often tweet about my personal activities (that seems entirely too “oooh I’m a celebrity”; I don’t assume that because a person enjoys my writing they necessarily want to know what I had for breakfast). I use it mostly to link to stuff I think would be of interest to people who like my writing. Is that what you all want?

How many of you who don’t follow me on Twitter read the Tweets on the side?

9 Responses to “PeaceBang bats it out, and a poll”

1. Lydia on September 2, 2010 3:24 pm

I don’t follow you on twitter or read your tweets on the side, mostly because I read new posts from this blog on my RSS feed. :)

2. Quiet Dreams on September 2, 2010 10:53 pm

Ditto Lydia’s comment. I read you on Bloglines.

3. Molly on September 3, 2010 8:21 am

I don’t have a Twitter (because G-d knows I don’t need another time-sink in my life), but I do read your tweets in the sidebar.

4. Carolyn on September 3, 2010 8:25 am

I enjoy scanning the tweets, and I chase through to columns like PB’s from time to time. You’re doing just fine.

5. MelissaJane on September 3, 2010 10:02 am

I’m not interested in a Twitter account, but yes, I always read the sidebar and often follow the links you tweet.

6. bluemoose on September 3, 2010 10:06 am

I scan the sidebar occasionally, but not regularly. I don’t “do” twitter.

7. allstonian on September 3, 2010 11:06 am

I don’t do Twitter, but I do often scan the sidebar and follow interesting-looking links.

8. Katy Cooper on September 3, 2010 12:23 pm

I follow you on Twitter and have been following Peacebang since you mentioned her some time ago. I like your tweets–I was especially glad of the one about dedicated body time.

9. Shulamuth on September 3, 2010 1:30 pm

Another “don’t do twitter” but I do scan the side-bar and occasionally follow something that catches my eye. I don’t follow any other blogs, but do read interesting bits pointed out to me.

FWIW, I think the line should be “to be a mensch…” because I don’t think that this sort of attention has anything to do with being religious, it has to do with being a good and engaged human being.