It’s been a busy week, folks! Sorry for the low posting rate. Here’s the clip of my appearance on NECN, talking about Restaurant Week tipping. And what do you think of the new blog look?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Thursday

1. Abby says:

I like this much better! The white background makes it much easier to read. :)

2. RP says:

I like it too! Very easy to read and cheery to boot.

3. Cassie says:

Much cleaner look. I like it.

PS — I watched your segment on NECN live; you were so relaxed and funny. Your hair looked fabulous, too!

4. Jerry says:

Eek! I’m being stared at. :)

I guess Restaurant Week is an East Coast thing?

5. Allstonian says:

Jerry: Not really, although it does seem to be a city thing. A little bit of Google research turns up Restaurant Week events in Boston, NYC, Washington DC, Baltimore, Orlando, and Charlotte, to be sure, but also Columbus, Ann Arbor, Madison, Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Knoxville, Austin, Houston, Denver, Phoenix, Tucson, New Mexico, Orange County, Los Angeles, San Franciso, and Seattle.

Restaurant Week started in New York in the early 90s as a way to stir up restaurant business in the post-holiday doldrums. (In some markets there are now two restaurant weeks, with another one in the slow summer months.) Initially, participating restaurants only offered a RW menu for lunch, and the gimmick was that the cost of a 3-course meal was the year with a decimal point added – i.e., in 1992 the price would be $19.92.

Over the years, participation has expanded, with dinner offerings being $10 more than the lunch price, and in many places the price has been simplified to something like $20 lunch/$30 dinner.

Most participating restaurants offer an abbreviated menu with only a few choices for each course. In many cases these limited menus are designed specifically for Restaurant Week and offer dishes that may not appear on the restaurant’s regular menu. This is why there is debate over how to tip appropriately for RW meals.

6. Ajay says:

VERY nice redesign. I love the tagline you’ve arrived at – leaves lots of “room to grow” in every direction. Also, love the cocked eyebrow, denim, and sparkly bow earrings in your photo – geek, cheek AND chic is hard to pull off!

7. Anita says:

The new format is nice – love the color combos – but the fixed column format is too narrow for me – I’d like to be able to widen the center column a bunch.

Also, the black on dark brown is impossible for me to read easily. (The black on orange is also a little difficult.) I don’t know if that’s an astigmatism thing or not.

8. allstonian says:

Re: the redesign: very nice indeed!

However, there are a couple of links that don’t work correctly. Clicking on the the “CONTACT” link on the left (below “ABOUT ROBIN ABRAHAMS”) gets a 404 error; clicking on the main banner, while it’s flagged “return to main page,” actually brings me to the web designer’s theme demo page.

9. Brooke says:

Love the new look for the blog. Clean design, coherent color scheme, easy to navigate, smokin’ photo. Very professional throughout, while still “looking like you.” Way to keep it simple.

10. Eeeeka says: