How to charm a neighbor’s socks off

March 29th, 2011

IF … you are the parents of an artistically-inclined gradeschooler, and
IF … you have childless neighbors who have a dog,
THEN I can guarantee you, if your child paints a picture of that dog, the dog’s owners will be charmed beyond all reason, and will probably frame your child’s art and cherish it forever.

As evidence, may I present “Milo Rocks,” a composition in cardstock and acrylic paint:

Seriously. Do you think I would ever throw this out?

6 Responses to “How to charm a neighbor’s socks off”

1. Hope on March 29, 2011 10:53 am

I certainly wouldn’t throw it out!

2. Ajay on March 29, 2011 1:31 pm

What a treasure! Then again, I still have a crayon drawing of me and my horse, that a cousin gave me when she was 4 and I was 11.

You might consider getting a color copy of it made – priceless, should something happen to the original. A copy is also great if you ever want it reproduced on something else, like a dog dish : )

3. Amy R. on March 29, 2011 2:43 pm

Adorable! I wish it was socially acceptable to do this as an adult…

4. WhirledPeasPlease on March 29, 2011 7:16 pm

Ohh, you should frame it and put it over Milo’s water dish! He’ll get an ego boost when he’s thirsty.

Also, that’s a way better drawing of a dog than I could ever do.

5. FrankB on March 31, 2011 2:44 am

Slightly related, this reminds of me of an advice column I had read (not yours) a few years back. A mother was overwhelmed with the amount of art her children were bringing home from school and daycare and wanted to know if was okay to dispose of some of it. I believe one child did not care if the parents threw the drawings straight in the garbage, but the other would get very upset. The mother had taken to sneaking the older pictures into work with her where she could dispose of them without anyone knowing.

I tried to find the old letter but Google did not help (I may have read it in an old-fashioned newspaper anyhow).

6. Kate on April 8, 2011 10:14 am

This goes well for those of you who are overwhelmed with the daycare/pre-school art projects: loving aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc… even special non-related “aunties” love these. Honestly? My cube has more kid-created artwork than anyone else. :) My nephew, “niece” (hon.) and other “nephew” (hon.)have created masterpieces that I enjoy when work’s getting to be too much. :)